Leeds STV
Image default

“I was a danger to myself”: The agonizing mental health battle behind this Leeds student’s smile

Behind this beaming smile, is a suicidal Leeds university student struggling to cope.

Saffron Taylor, a student at Leeds Beckett University, has now spoken out about her mental health battle.

The 19-year-old from Hull, who has borderline personality disorder, overdosed four times in the days leading up to her hospitalisation at St James University Hospital last week.

HullLive reports that Saffron was sectioned after making repeated attempts on her own life but says she was discharged from Miranda House after just one night without receiving any proper assessment or treatment.

Before arriving at the facility, she had been made subject to an order under Section Two of the Mental Health Act.

This happens when someone with a mental disorder needs to be detained for a short time for assessment, and possibly treatment, to protect the health and safety of themselves or others.

After being kept under constant supervision following the sectioning in hospital, Saffron said she was transferred to the Avondale Clinical Decisions Unit, based at Miranda House in Gladstone Street, in Hull, on the evening of Wednesday, August 26.

She said the belongings that could have been a danger to her, such as her phone charger, were taken from her as she arrived and she was allocated a room at the facility.

Saffron said: “I was a complete danger to myself.

“I felt really unsafe and really frightened, but it felt like a prison. Being there just made me feel even worse.”

After just one night, she said she was woken up by a nurse the next morning to be told she was going home.

Following a brief discussion with a consultant, she said she was told she was “obviously feeling better”, given her belongings back and discharged from the facility.

She then left alone and walked to get a bus back home to Bilton. Her family had not been informed of her release until she rang them herself after being discharged.

“I wasn’t assessed, I literally woke up and they just let me go,” she said.

“There was no assessment, no treatment – and that was the only reason I was there.

“I’d been the subject of a serious section as a suicide risk, I’d been in hospital for overdosing six times the week before in Leeds. I was sent there to get better, but it just made me worse.

“I was absolutely desperate to get out of Miranda House, obviously, but regardless it was their duty of care to keep me safe while under section, which they didn’t.

“They discharged me and I just walked off to go home – I could’ve just gone and killed myself straight away. It’s a terrifying thought now.”

Related posts

Drivers were told not to give money to beggars on the busy streets of Leeds

Paolo Sorbello

Dominic Cummings tells the story of first days of COVID pandemic

Mary Johnson

A “new momentum” is needed, EU considers

Mary Johnson

Leave a Comment

* By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.